Monday, November 22, 2010

Seam Stresses -- by Kim Ode


Somewhere in the mile-long seam
Of a flounce for a teenager’s prom dress
Whose success, at this moment, is in doubt,
I see what I am doing.
See it in that peculiar way in which
The past sometimes appears,
Clicking through scenes on a View-Master
From a cardboard disk I didn’t know I’d saved.

There I am,
Standing in a coldly sleek white gown,
Then in another with too much lace,
And in another that is, well, ick.
Click.
My mother says, I could sew your wedding dress.

I think it was a Simplicity pattern.
Or was it Vogue?
All I know is that she stitched miles of seams
In less than a week.
I sewed on the pearls to accent the bodice
But it was, as usual, a stitch to her every ten.

So here I am, against all logic,
Compelled by the reality of ick,
Volunteering almost word for word
To sew a prom dress for this Saturday.

I’m not sure what I will tell my mother.
Whether to thank her for these skills,
Or ponder how history rewinds itself,
Whether to confess to some competition
Or laugh about the hell we clench in our teeth
And wrestle to the ground
Because of a daughter.

Somewhere in the mile-long seam
That I am snipping open, stitch by stitch
To smooth away a pucker,
I hear a low chuckle
And I know what I will say.

1 comment: