Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Minnesotan in New York - by Mike Finley

When I landed at LaGuardia
It was seventy degrees.
All I needed was a thin jacket.
For three days I walked the streets
Leery of beggars who seemed
to know something, and shadowy.
Figures lurking in doorways.
But when the temperature began
to fall and the canyon gusts blew
plastic sacks like ghostly luggage,
I came into my own.
I am more used to winter than them,
it is my element, walking into wind
swinging my computer case at my side.
All along 6th Avenue phalanxes of muggers
and murders part melted
from their purpose by sled dog eyes.
Urgent and cheerful on a cold,
cold night.

ODE.....this is the poem that Mike sent to me the week before I flew out to NYC to do the Martha Stewart interview. It really meant a lot to me, to have somebody else work become specified for my life. To this day I think Mike Finley is epic.

3 comments:

  1. Nice, nice, nice -- although it makes me wonder how the phalanxes of muggers would have behaved had even someone with sled dog eyes (best line ever) had announced they were on their way to a Martha Stewart interview..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael has listen to the muses for a very long time. He's always good to read.

    ReplyDelete