Thursday, November 18, 2010

My 3rd Flight to Moscow by Klecko

On my 3rd flight to Moscow
I flew Delta Airlines
Their television blared
As I sat in the concourse

ESPN and CNN
Discussed Brett Favre
And, whether or not
He would finally retire

It was 10 a.m.
When I synchronized my watch
And, wondered if I dared
To do the same with my bloodstream

At this time tomorrow
It would be midnight in Moscow
And, I would be sipping vodka
In the Hotel Bega's lounge

I stepped into a saloon
Which doubled as a cafe
And, sidled up to the counter
And, waited to be served

The barmaid with red hair
And, jeans of tight black denim
Approached to take my order
Damn - she was tall and thin

Her nametag announced her as "Viv"
As did her raspy voice
She placed a coaster in front of me
Then asked what would be my pleassure

When my answer was finally poured
Viv barked orders to the servers
Displaying alpha status
It kinda turned me on

Next she shoveled cubes
From her portable ice cart
When the station was finally filled
She continued our conversation

So tell me my brave sailor
Where will your adventures take you
When I answered southern Russia
She adjusted her apron and smirked

Thats the first time I've heard that port
And I've worked here several years
If Ivan decides to give you back
I get most Tuesdays off

A night with Viv was illusion
Due to previous selections
But, the prospect was alluring
Because like me she was a lout

We'd come home from dinner parties
And, parade ourselves upstairs
And while she would take off her jewelry
She's start a fight I couldn't win

And, maybe that's the reason
Those possibilities remain just that
Because if they reached fruition
The planet would become off balanced

After 30 minutes and 3 shots
There was an awkward moment
she realized I was leaving
And, slowly produced my check

My bill was 18 dollars
So I handed her 2-20's
For a moment she seemed puzzled
As if I overpaid

For pennies on the moment
I filled the role of mystery
Enough to occupy the moment
Until another sailor came along

END

Kim this might be my favorite work in my "VODKA DIARY" series. In my head I read it rhythmically, and it works because i know it, but on a first time through, did you experience "chops" in the rhythm?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed it. Don't know anything about chops though. Is there a Poetry for Dummies? I guess I should familiarize myself, if you are going to be putting up poetry.

    ReplyDelete