Friday, November 19, 2010

Baker's Trinity -- by Kim Ode

Baker I

The Hobart scares me, frankly.
Its steel arm churning through
Small oceans of dough
Rising and falling in the bakery’s battered cauldron
Not unlike how Captain Hook made Wendy tremble
Before she found her nerve.

My home mixer’s tidy dough hook
Is, in suburban scale, a mere toenail
Writhing efficiently through
A baby’s bottom of dough that
Gratefully
Makes just two loaves.

Sometimes I go off the grid
With my Ma Ingalls bowl,
Smiling placidly at the unemployed outlet
Hands clad in gloves of flour and water
As I lift and stretch and turn and fold
Dough that has behaved this way
For centuries.

The kneading leaves me winded
If I’ve done it well enough,
And I catch my breath with Caroline.


Baker II

My poor brick oven.
Good that I sunk its concrete footings
Four feet into the earth
Burdened as it is with metaphor.

Midlife crisis is my answer to why,
Which makes women laugh
Into their elastic waistbands
About my wood-fired therapist’s couch

Brick ovens have a goddess
Of course.
Fornax, who relies on dead trees
To work her magic.

Does she seduce Zeus
To aim his lightning bolts
Toward that elm, that oak?
Or am I overthinking this?

I bake in the 21st century.
I bake in a suburb.
I bake while my children
Wait for the microwave to ding.


Baker III

When all is said and done
-- As if it ever is ---
An old church cookbook
Holds all the answers
To all the questions of
How long?
How much?
How hot?
How many?

The capture of wisdom so pure and plain
Often makes me underestimate its value,
As did those who recited their recipes
From memory
While sitting distracted in the pews.

No comments:

Post a Comment