Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fight of the Century - by Klecko

As the son of a drunkard - I had to be patient
Since intentions and whiskey don't mix

On Fridays in April - My father would call me
It was always late in the evening

He'd promise adventures - We'd go to the circus
Everything would be first class

But, the pinball machines - and slurring background
Made me wonder if it would turn out like last year

By the time I was 7 - I couldn't pick him out of a police line up
He left L.A. before I turned 2

He got bored rather easily - And married 5 times
Each wife bore him a daughter

I was the only son - from his first betrothed
We eventually relocated in the Midwest

Then on one day - The date was March 8th
He decided it was time to catch up

A lout in an Impala - Pulled into our driveway
The guy who got out looked like Jackie Gleason

Our homecoming was surreal - when he lifted up his fists
While asking "Boy do you like to scrap?"

I didn't answer the question - so he pulled out 2 tickets
We were going to the fight of the century

My mother was tentitive - But, eventually released her grip
You could see the nail marks on my bicep

Somehow her distrust - would find a reprieve
Ali was attempting to reclaim the crown

I kissed her goodbye - And, went off with this stranger
Who was advised to give me no soda

The bout was in New York - At Madison Square Garden
Remember this predates HBO

So we went to the Met - To watch the closed circut broadcast
It was our cities only satellite venue

Tickets were sparse - Admission was coveted
I ran to be the first in a line

We marched straight to consessions - My father grinned large
"Sir, wouls you please give my son a Coke?"

Then we entered the auditorium - There were 1 million men
And, I was the only boy

The guys with gray hair - The type who wore pin stripes
Greeted me like neighbors from the cabin

"Who do you like kid?" - I answered Muhammad Ali"
To the applause of row 117

But, even in Nirvana - theres always one flaw
Ours sported a plaid coat and sat in the row just behind

He bragged that Joe Fraizer - was 26 and 0
And, 23 of these came via the knockout

The imcumbant from Philly - Wasn't a draft dodger
Like my dads hero who was barred durring his prime

When the man in the plaid coat - harped on this fact
My old man told him to shut the fuck up

For the briefest of moments - I waited for conflict
But, the oafs were both told to pipe down

I sat there in silence - Kinda digging the tension
The show was about to start

The screen was gigantic - Bigger than in the movies
Then along came another Coke

When the lights faded down - The cheers rang out loud
While I nesteled into a cloud of blue cigar smoke

Don Dumphy did commentary - He was the play by play announcer
And, was joined by boxing champion Archie Moore

Burt Lancaster did color - He had never tried announcing
I loved the Birdman from Alcatraz

Leroy Neiman painted the moment - Woody Allen was himself
While Sinatra took photos for LIFE magizine

But, thats how it worked - You did what was needed
If you wanted to witness history first hand

The fight exceeded expectations - It went the full distance
But, Muhammad got knocked down in the final round

The world went silent - And, I wanted to cry
For a hero I didn't know earlier that day

He popped up real quick though - to offer us hope
But, his jaw was swollen grotesquely

After the bell rang - Smoking Joes glove was raised
Ali had suffered his first loss

Besides a small fraction - the crowd seemed so sullen
But, my old man refused to abandon his smile

While everyone filed out - We stayed in our seats
For unknown reasons he didn't want to leave

And, before he stood up - He shared a confession
As if we both possesed identical understanding

"Listen to me kid - One day you're gonna get older
And, I'm guessing you might be upset

You'll probably figure out - I'm a pretty shitty father
But, if it's any consolation...................

I only had 2 tickets to the fight of the century - And, I wanted to take you."

3 comments:

  1. Kim I made several major adjustments as you advised. I streamlined some of the profanity as well. I felt it didn't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful. The voice is so emotional with the short snapshot feel. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - felt like I was right there - and wished that I was.

    ReplyDelete