Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Peoples Empire - by Klecko

The shark defines an aquatic cage
Th perimeters always wide
We raise a toast - and shed an oath
And, get pulled in by the tide

You can lie down on the ocean floor
But, you can never hide
The truth is always seen in the peoples empire

The artesian will earn his keep
From sweat upon the brow
Everything's obtainable
When someone shows you how

And, every shift is tangible
From the oven to the plow
Your collars always blue
In the peoples empire

Grab the pot - and pour me coffee
Save room for some cream
It doesn't matter that I'm thirsty
when I watch your brown eyes gleam

I salute the architect of your temple
For creating such a dream
Enshrine this angel
In the peoples empire

Take my wallet - and my car keys
Crawl into my bed
Its seldom that I get to use them
I'm usually baking bread

And, I'm sure I'll give you many reasons
To leave me before I'm dead
Its hard to hold a bond
in the peoples empire

Judas usually held the purse strings
So the crew was in the black
After a merger with Pharisees
He tried to give it back

Sometimes in Hospitality
One day can break your back
There are no second chances
In the people empire

The police cruise the alleyways
Of kitchens and retail
If you are Black, Hmong or Mexican
Get ready to post bail

If you don't have money for representation
An appointed attorney will fail
Don't dare to hope for justice
In the people empire

The waitress - who is a mother
Usually won't play fair
She'll dig in deep - for this months lover
And typically won't care

If he's trite, obscene, or slow to act
Or even losing hair
As long as that check clears
In the peoples empire

The inspector arrives unannounced
In hopes of striking fear
you can bet that they - will stay all day
It keeps their job secure

Some want to see that monkey dance
And others just want beer
You see - everyone's your overlord
In the people Empire

In the break room - the Italian baker
Was accused of being gay
Because he spent his Tuesday lunch hour
Reading Hemmingway

Owning books, values, or dreams
Will get you pushed away
Finish lines are never crossed
In the peoples empire

In the Midwest - there are wheat fields
As big as any sea
All my clients have driven through them
When they crossed - our country

It's a voyage - I have never taken
I've been chained to industry
Yes - I want to believe that the sun shines bright
On the people empire.

End

No comments:

Post a Comment